Friday, December 3, 2010

Cowardly Customers

It's been awhile since I've had a negative post about work, so here goes.

In the past eight years, as a food service employees, I've served all kinds of customers: Tall, short, fat, skinny, ones that cried, ones that talked your ears off, some that don't want you to say a word. I've served perverted, mean, and downright slimy customers.
I've served smelly customers, needy customers, customers who complained a lot and ones who came in planning to get a free meal.

Don't get me wrong, I've also served sweet, nice and polite customers, but that's not the point. By far, my least favorite of the customers are the cowardly ones.

I had one such example on Sunday. Sundays are notoriously bad tipping days. They used to be decent, but I think only because there were so many customers that things evened out. I'm talking, less than 10 percent for a group and sometimes less than 10 cents per person. It's frustrating. Especially when you're busy and trying to take care of everyone at once. And I'm not trying to brag, but I don't usually get stiffed and I haven't been for the past several weeks. But I have been so many times, by so many people, that it doesn't really phase me anymore.
Sometimes I deserve it, most of the time I don't.

This Sunday, I had taken very good care of a table. I did the obligatory, "aww... your baby is so cute!" and made sure their drinks stayed full. At the end of their meal, there were only three glasses on their table and no dishes. For a buffet that's pretty good.

I'm pre-bussing, or collecting large amounts of dishes to bring to the dish room. As soon as I get a full tray and walk back, the cowardly customers get up and practically run out the door. When I told another lady about it she said "they know it's wrong." Honestly, I think they do.

Sometimes customers really do just forget, and I understand that. Sometimes they thought they had more money, but they don't, which I also understand. If this were the case though, I wish they would have the courage to say something, rather than trying to hide or get out before I can see them. It's almost like they're like "okay she's in the back! GO!"

On the flip side, if I did something to piss you off or ruin your dining experience, tell me that too. I might not be happy about it, but at least I would know why you weren't tipping me and I might be able to work on whatever it was.

Here are a few general rules:

If you don't have money to tip, stick to fast food restaurants.

If you are already out and find out you don't have money to tip, apologize to your server. They will say it's okay. What else would they say? They have to be polite. Or find an ATM and go back, something to show that person that you're not the huge douchy a-holes you're about to portray yourself as.

And most importantly: Don't be a coward. Cowards suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...