Sunday, December 11, 2011

Vincent and Sofi Seck

One day several months (maybe a year?) ago I stumbled, quite by accident, across this blog/website. I immediately fell in love with this girl's work. True, I knew nothing about her, but I love love love looking at her photos. What I love the most is how she manages to capture the true spirit of her subjects, the love, the personality, fierceness- you name it.

It's no secret that I love photos, taking them, looking at them, scrapbooking them or just reveling in the memories I know they hold. Photos have a lot of value to me. I know this sounds dumb, but I have an absolutely horrible memory (G's mom calls it young-heimers) and the pictures will someday serve as my window on life. To add perspective, I have more than 200 pictures framed in my home (and no, I'm not a hoarder).

When G proposed this past July, I immediately thought about the possibility of Sofi Seck being my wedding photographer. But, she's a St. Louis gal and I'm getting married in Alabama (though she does travel!). When we went to Alabama this past summer we went to the visitor's center and got a huge list of wedding vendors for destination wedding planners. The list contains more than 40 photographers and I visited every.single.site. I did not like any of them as much as I like Sofi's photos. I honestly don't know what it is about her. And as far as wedding planning, we're really not there yet. We have a tentative date, but that's really it. Other logistics like exact location, budget, etc., are still up in the air.

But one thing I cherish more than any one day is my amazingly cute, now 5-year-old boy. Gary and I decided to have Sofi document his 5th birthday. We set up a date, which ended up getting rained out. So we set up another date to meet at Tower Grove Park. Gary ended up having to work and wasn't able to attend the photo shoot. But it was amazing. Sofi channeled her inner-child and captured some amazing photos.

And if you've ever met Gary you may know he can be hard to impress. But when I showed him the photos a few weeks later (as soon as we got them!) he said there wasn't one photo he didn't like. That is an awesome compliment. Without further adieu, here are the photos.

These are copyrighted and absolutely can not be copied, printed or reproduced for any reason. To do so would be violation of the U.S. Copyright Law.

IMG_4359

IMG_4360

IMG_4377

IMG_4385

IMG_4396

IMG_4403

IMG_4406

IMG_4413

IMG_4415

IMG_4425

IMG_4431

IMG_4434

IMG_4435

IMG_4436

IMG_4438

IMG_4439

IMG_4440

IMG_4451

IMG_4477

IMG_4482

IMG_4488

IMG_4497

IMG_4498

IMG_4503

IMG_4515

IMG_4516

IMG_4528

IMG_4537

IMG_4570

IMG_4601

IMG_4607

IMG_4619

IMG_4622

IMG_4626

IMG_4629

IMG_4631

IMG_4638

IMG_4640

IMG_4646

IMG_4662

I was concerned. Vincent is a rambunctious boy and not really good at sitting still... But within a few minutes any uncertainties I had went away. Sofi didn't even try to get him to sit still. She ran with him, played hide-and-seek, followed him around and let him be himself. She let him hold her camera and really "be the boss." If he didn't want to do something, she didn't make him. Maybe that's why all of her subjects look incredibly at ease and like they're professionals. I think his personality really shines through in the photos and I couldn't be any happier with out they turned out.

I took video on my phone too (so G could see), but I'll have to add it later.

Unfortunately, after Jan. 1, Sofi will no longer take photos of children so she can focus on her brides and high school seniors. If you happen to fall into one of these categories, I would highly recommend her. No, she didn't pay me to say any of this- I just really love and respect her work (and the work of other awesome photographers, I know how hard it can be).

Thank you, Sofi, so much for the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...